Monday, August 5, 2013

Got Milk?....My Breastfeeding Journey's

BEDA day 5

For those of you who don't know August 1st - 7th is World Breastfeeding Week.  To be honest I never knew there was even such a thing. But I figured I would talk about my breastfeeding journeys. All of my boys were breastfeed and my little guy still is.

First off I want to start by saying I do support breastfeeding that doesn't mean I'm against those that don't. I know this can be a hot subject to talk about although I'm not quite sure why. A mom is a mom whether she chooses to breastfeed or formula feed. We should support each other and not judge or make each other feel like crape. Sorry for the little rant.

I'll start with my oldest. I was a young mom I had him when I was 18. There was a program for teen moms where once a month someone would come to your house and tells you about information about pregnancy and infants. That's where I was told a little bit about breastfeeding.

I made the decision that I wanted to try and nurse. The day came when my sweet boy was born. I told the nurses I was going to breastfeed. They tried to convince me that I should formula feed instead. But I stood my ground. When they came to take him to check him out I let them know I was breastfeeding and not to give him formula. They bring him back shortly after and next to him in his bassinet is a bottle. I was pissed to say the least.

My boyfriend wasn't really on board with the whole breastfeeding thing either nor was his family. Mine wasn't very supportive either. When my bf took the baby to visit with family in the waiting room while I got checked out he ended up giving him some of the formula as well.

My baby ended up having really bad gas and pretty much screamed in pain for 2 day's. When we got home  nursing went good for someone not knowing what the heck they were doing : ) It didn't take long before me and him were comfortable and pros at it.

I still had comments made to me about why was I breastfeeding I'm gonna make him clingy ect. Don't get me started on what they said about co-sleeping. I also had incidents out in public with rude people. I was at Walmart and need to nurse I wasn't confident yet in nursing in public so I went to go nurse in the changing room. I was told I couldn't and to go nurse in the bathroom on a toilet. Yeah I was told to feed my infant in a nasty bathroom on a toilet.

I ended up nursing on demand till he was almost 19 months old. I stopped cold turkey because I was pregnant with my second and told that I was hurting the baby and he wasn't getting enough nutrition with me still nursing my oldest and I should stop immediately. I didn't know any better so I listened and cut him off.

It was a terrible experience! He was so hysterical for a week. I felt like a piece of crape not to mention my breasts became engorged. Talk about painful! I wish I was more informed and had gotten a second opinion before I listened to them. Unfortunately I didn't.

This is really long so I'm gonna do a part 2. Hopefully I didn't bore you to much : )

4 comments:

  1. I love reading about other breastfeeding mothers. :) It's nice to know that some people still DO breastfeed because you don't see them anymore. Both of my boys weaned before 1. Cas, just self-weaned before his 9 month mark. :( It's heartbreaking to me because I went through so much just making sure that he COULD breastfeed & now he is all done. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe it is sad when they decide to be done. I'm not looking forward to when it ends : (

      Delete
  2. It's so awesome that you persevered even when so many others were working against you. Fantastic job, your boys love you for it!!

    ReplyDelete